Foot and Ankle Course with Helene Simpson; Cape Town; 18-19 Sep 2015
Course times: 4pm to 8pm on day 1 & 9am to 5pm day 2
CPD POINTS – GET A MAXIMUM OF 15CPD POINTS ON THIS COURSE
12 ceus in level 1 and 3 home study applied for in level 2 (complete the course questionnaire and pass with >70% for your extra 3 exam ceus.
FOOT AND ANKLE COURSE – Assessment, Diagnosis, Treatment and Rehabilitation
This course will present an update on the functional anatomy of the foot and ankle and how this influences the choice of treatment and management outcomes for foot and ankle pathology and injury. A practical protocol to managing acute ankle injuries will also be presented and discussion around several case studies and treatment regimes will also take place.
The treatment and rehabilitation of more complex and long standing foot and ankle injuries with a special input into “weak and unastable” ankles will also be presented incorporating foot wear, orthotics, braces and taping and rehabilitation strategies. This course is practical and easy to implement in your practice and will assist you in making correct and informative decisions regarding your patients’ foot and ankle problems.
WHY DO THE FOOT AND ANKLE COURSE?
Helene is foremost a clinician who is passionate about evidence based clinical practice. The course aims give tips and guidance based on the clinical knowledge she has amassed and her on-going research.
The workshop will kick off with an update on the functional anatomy of the foot and ankle and how this influences the choice of treatment, management and functional outcomes.
Helene wants to assist physiotherapists with their clinical reasoning in grading ankle sprains, assessing acute ankle injuries and concomitant injuries. We will discuss the most useful clinical tests, the importance of the Ottawa Ankle and foot rules in excluding fractures, and how to assess a patient’s functional performance, inclusive or return to sport.
An evidence based protocol in managing acute ankle injuries will be presented and various treatment regimens will be discussed. We will discuss when and for how long an ankle should be immobilised and the immediate treatment following an ankle sprain.
A comprehensive rehabilitation workshop will address the important components to be included in a rehabilitation regime. Treatment and rehabilitation of complex and long standing foot and ankle pathologies such as recurrent ankle sprains, ankle instability and impingements, osteochondral lesions and a short introduction on midfoot sprains, plantar heel pain, and the acquired flat foot and “weak and unstable” ankles will be presented.
She will discuss/ debate foot wear, orthotics, preventative braces and taping. This is in essence a hands-on/ practical/ interactive course (and usually a lot of fun). The rehabilitation skills are easy to implement in your practice.
Past Course Testimonials
- Helene is a brilliant teacher & explains things very practically with lots of clinical/patient experiences to help us understand. She also demonstrates wonderful fresh ideas for assessment and rehab, thank you – Belinda
- Even after 20 years experience there are new research results & treatment possibilities! – Regina
- A fantastic course. Very informative & practical. Will definitely be better at treating/rehab ankles now, thank you – Lindsay
- Uitstekende kursus, uitstekend aangebied. Kan definitief met meer vertroue ‘n problem enkel aanspreek! – Mariana
- Unthreatening learning environment – difficult anatomy made clear & new rehab exercises – Julie
- I enjoyed the course – the information was highly transferable to the clinical settings – Linda
How To Book This Course:
• Step 1: Create an account; register your details here or click on the ‘Members Area’ button on the top menu: we need your details in order to reserve your seat and email you the preliminary materials for the course – ps; please note that registering your details does not book you onto the course – you need to follow step 2 below.
• Step 2: Book your place; Once you have registered your details, come back to this course webpage to submit your booking below and choose your payment method; to book, click on the Submit button below.
• Step 3: Choose and make your payment method below; Payment by Bank Transfer: If you wish to pay via a bank transfer, simply follow the payment details on the proforma invoice that has been emailed to you now that you have made your booking. Payment by PayPal or Credit Card: Click the “Buy Now” Paypal button above to pay via PayPal or Credit Card. You are now booked and will receive a confirmation email shortly!
View the course times:
- Day 1: 4:00pm – 8:00pm
- Day 2: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Bookings are closed for this event.