Date of Course:
13 Oct 2020 - 27 Oct 2020
LONG TERM ATHLETIC DEVELOPMENT ONLINE COURSE: The road to healthy, active, sporty kids – via zoom meeting – via zoom meeting;
with Dave Bensted-Smith
B.A. (phys ed), B.Sc. (medical)honours) in sport science, qualified biokineticist.
Live stream times; 9am – 12noon South African times for all 3 modules; dates are 13th, 20th & 27th October 2020 – please check your own local times.
LONG TERM ATHLETIC DEVELOPMENT ONLINE COURSE: The road to healthy, active, sporty kids – via zoom meeting
LTAD is a modernisation of how physical activity and sport is presented to school going children. Traditional methods of teaching by experience/instruction and subjective observation have been replaced by a structured physiological framework of knowledge teaching in the modern era. It is developmental model based on individual needs and progressions and answers the following fundamental question:
What needs to be done at each stage of human development to give every child the best chance of engaging in lifelong, health-enhancing physical activity? What is the best chance of athletic success for those with motivation and talent?
Primary objectives of this course:
- The primary goal of LTADis provide a framework to ensure that training, competition and recovery schedules are appropriate for children at each specific stage of their growth and development.
- Create an understanding of why children are motivated (or not motivated) to take part in physical activity, to provide educators with knowledge and understanding of the developmental process children undergo during their formative years and give them the tools to address limitations and advanced skills.
- Know that there are stages of physical development in children and that there are appropriate training/coaching modules at each stage.
- Be able to screen for limitations and recognise “talent”
- Build a progressive training framework for children based on physical development and key factors.
- Take a long-term view when developing success.
Course content of 3 modules of 3hrs per module:
Discuss the 7 stage LTAD model
Explore why LTAD is appropriate in the 2020’s
Explain assessment and monitoring process
The effect of Covid-19 and social distances on physical development
Look at 10 key factors on which the LTAD model is based
- Physical Literacy
- Age appropriate activities
- Child physiology
- Intellectual and emotional development
- Long term strategies
- Periodisation (planning)
- Being active for life
Modern coaching philosophies and styles
Instruction vs knowledge-based coaching
The role of parents
Limitations of LTAD
How To Book This Course:
• Step 1: Create an account; register your details here or click on the ‘My Profile’ button on the top menu: we need your details in order to reserve your seat and email you the preliminary materials for the course – PS; please note that registering your details does not book you onto the course – you need to follow step 2 below.
• Step 2: Book your place; Once you have registered your details, come back to this webpage to submit your booking below and choose your payment method; to book, click on the Submit button below.
• Step 3: Choose and make your payment method below; Payment by Bank Transfer: If you wish to pay via a bank transfer, simply follow the payment details on the proforma invoice that has been emailed to you now that you have made your booking. Payment by PayPal or Credit Card: Click the “Buy Now” Paypal button above to pay via PayPal or Credit Card. You are now booked and will receive a confirmation email shortly!
Live stream time; 9am – 12noon South African times for all 3 modules; please check your own local times.