Healthcare therapists, during the practice of their profession, are often confronted with problems that might have been caused through iatrogenic (an inadvertent adverse effect or complication resulting from medical treatment, not restricted to conventional medicine and also arising from complementary and alternative medicine treatments) injury, or perhaps the therapist, being part of the health team, may from time to time advise members of the health team on appropriate pharmacotherapy interventions. For these reasons it is therefore necessary for healthcare therapists to have a current and appropriate pharmacotherapy platform.
This workshop will empower you to understand:
- the current status and scope of pharmacotherapy practice of the therapist and pharmacotharepy
- Potential ethical issues the prescribing therapist may encounter;
- Perceived dangers in prescribing medicine;
- The limitations the therapist may experience when prescribing medicine;
- the current subject knowledge status and what may be required;
- the current research into the classes of drugs respondents would like to prescribe
- classification, scheduling and prescription requirements of medication in South Africa and what the therapist may legally recommend without prescription;
- The 4 Pillars of medical ethics with reference to pharmacotherapy;
- Chronic pain: drug classes used in the treatment thereof with emphasis on opioids, their use and abuse, management and treatment agreements;
- Materia medica: Overview of selected physiomedical herbal medicine;
- The art of writing a medicine prescription: The therapeutic and ethical considerations.
Audience; Healthcare professionals for whom Pharmacotherapy information and knwoledge is an important adjsut to their professional career and development: physios, chiropractors, osteopaths, biokineticists;
Facilities; Parking (free), secure and inside premises
Accomodation; plenty of B&B’s, Guest houses and hotel in the green point area of Cape town.
Snacks: Teas / coffees and a light meal will be provided.
Material: You will receive a course manual.
Other Info: You will be asked to fill out an evaluation form and receive a signed certificate via email after the course.
How To Book This Course:
• Step 1: Create an account; register your details here or click on the ‘Members Area’ button on the top menu: we need your details in order to reserve your seat and email you the preliminary materials for the course – ps; please note that registering your details does not book you onto the course – you need to follow step 2 below.
• Step 2: Book your place; Once you have registered your details, come back to this course webpage to submit your booking below and choose your payment method; to book, click on the Submit button below.
• Step 3: Choose and make your payment method below; Payment by Bank Transfer: If you wish to pay via a bank transfer, simply follow the payment details on the proforma invoice that has been emailed to you now that you have made your booking. Payment by PayPal or Credit Card: Click the “Buy Now” Paypal button above to pay via PayPal or Credit Card. You are now booked and will receive a confirmation email shortly!
View the course times:
- Day 1: 12:00am – 8:00pm
Bookings are closed for this event.
[userpro_loggedin] Share this course with your friends or colleagues!