Date of Course:
28 Jun 2020 - 05 Jul 2020
PHYSIOTHERAPY MANAGEMENT OF RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS ONLINE COURSE – via zoom meeting with Wilma Erasmus; 28th June; 4th July & 5th July 2020; 10am – 1pm South African time
Wilma Erasmus is the former President of the South African Society of Physiotherapy and is currently the PhysioFocus Liaison Officer. She lectures on various subjects ranging from practice management, cardio-pulmonary management and ethics. She is the current Chairman of the International Private Physical Therapy Association (IPPTA), the official subgroup from private practice of WCPT. She is passionate about the physiotherapy profession and dedicated to ethical, principle leadership and sharing of knowledge.
The aim of this 3-part series will be to refresh old knowledge in the management of patients requiring physiotherapy for respiratory conditions in various settings, outpatients, in hospital and also in ICU. New evidence in the physiotherapy management of respiratory conditions will be discussed and old ideas and treatment modalities will be challenged and scrutinized.
TAKE THIS STAY AT HOME OPPORTUNITY DURING THE CORONA VIRUS PANDEMIC TO UPSKILL OR RENEW YOUR PHYSIOTHERAPY MANAGEMENT OF RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS INCLUDING SAFETY, INDICATIONS AND CONTRA-INDICATIONS, COMPLICATIONS AND MORE….
PHYSIOTHERAPY MANAGEMENT OF RESPIRATORY CONDITIONS ONLINE COURSE
Physiotherapists are excellent in using our exceptional clinical reasoning skills in the management of neuro-muscular skeletal conditions but often don’t use this skill in the management of patients with respiratory conditions. As experts in exercise physiology and rehabilitation it is time that physiotherapists step up to take a leading role in the multi-disciplinary management and rehabilitation of patients with respiratory conditions. As a profession we need to challenge old beliefs, old outdated treatment modalities, routine treatments with little evidence and upskill ourselves with knowledge and evidence informed innovative treatment modalities for this vulnerable patient population.
The aim of this 3- part series will be to refresh old knowledge in the management of patients requiring physiotherapy for respiratory conditions in various settings, outpatients, in hospital and also in ICU. New evidence in the physiotherapy management of respiratory conditions will be discussed and old ideas and treatment modalities will be challenged and scrutinized.
Module 1: Step out before you step in.
• Ethical reasoning and informed consent in a vulnerable patient population
• Revision of anatomy and physiology of the respiratory and circulatory system
• Assessment of the patient with respiratory conditions and outcomes used in respiratory physiotherapy
Module 2: Physiotherapy Management of the Mechanically ventilated patient.
• Overview of mechanical ventilation, modes and weaning strategies of the adult mechanical ventilated patient
• Risk management – Management of complications
• Case discussions
Module 3: In with the new and out with the old
• Reviewing, scrutinizing and challenging physiotherapy treatment modalities for patients with respiratory conditions and complications associated with prolonged bedrest. This will include conventional chest clearance techniques, new technological advances and respiratory breathing exercises and rehabilitation
• Case discussions
How To Book This Course:
• Step 1: Create an account; register your details here or click on the ‘My Profile’ button on the top menu: we need your details in order to reserve your seat and email you the preliminary materials for the course – ps; please note that registering your details does not book you onto the course – you need to follow step 2 below.
• Step 2: Book your place; Once you have registered your details, come back to this DN webpage to submit your booking below and choose your payment method; to book, click on the Submit button below.
• Step 3: Choose and make your payment method below; Payment by Bank Transfer: If you wish to pay via a bank transfer, simply follow the payment details on the proforma invoice that has been emailed to you now that you have made your booking. Payment by PayPal or Credit Card: Click the “Buy Now” Paypal button above to pay via PayPal or Credit Card. You are now booked and will receive a confirmation email shortly!
Course times for each day; 10am – 1pm each module South African time; please check your own local times