Date of Course:
19 Jul 2019 - 20 Jul 2019
Foot and Ankle Course with Helene Simpson; WP Rugby Academy, Cnr Voortrekker & Duminy Rd Bellville, Cape Town; 19 – 20 July 2019
Course times: 1pm-8pm on day 1 and 8am to 5pm on day 2.
CPD POINTS – GET A MAXIMUM OF 17CPD POINTS ON THIS COURSE
14 Ceus applied for plus 6 free optional Ethics Ceus (complete the course questionnaire and pass with >70% for your extra 3 exam ceus.
FOOT AND ANKLE COURSE – Assessment, Diagnosis, Treatment and Rehabilitation
This course will present an update on the functional anatomy of the foot and ankle and how this influences the choice of treatment and management outcomes for foot and ankle pathology and injury. A practical protocol to managing acute ankle injuries will also be presented and discussion around several case studies and treatment regimes will also take place.
The treatment and rehabilitation of more complex and long standing foot and ankle injuries with a special input into “weak and unstable” ankles will also be presented incorporating foot wear, orthotics, braces and taping and rehabilitation strategies. This course is practical and easy to implement in your practice and will assist you in making correct and informative decisions regarding your patients’ foot and ankle problems.
WHY DO THE FOOT AND ANKLE COURSE?
Helene is foremost a clinician who is passionate about evidence based clinical practice. The course aims give tips and guidance based on the clinical knowledge she has amassed and her on-going research.
The workshop will kick off with an update on the functional anatomy of the foot and ankle and how this influences the choice of treatment, management and functional outcomes.
Helene wants to assist physiotherapists with their clinical reasoning in grading ankle sprains, assessing acute ankle injuries and concomitant injuries. We will discuss the most useful clinical tests, the importance of the Ottawa Ankle and foot rules in excluding fractures, and how to assess a patient’s functional performance, inclusive or return to sport.
An evidence based protocol in managing acute ankle injuries will be presented and various treatment regimens will be discussed. We will discuss when and for how long an ankle should be immobilised and the immediate treatment following an ankle sprain.
A comprehensive rehabilitation workshop will address the important components to be included in a rehabilitation regime. Treatment and rehabilitation of complex and long standing foot and ankle pathologies such as recurrent ankle sprains, ankle instability and impingements, osteochondral lesions and a short introduction on mid-foot sprains, plantar heel pain, and the acquired flat foot and “weak and unstable” ankles will be presented.
She will discuss/ debate foot wear, orthotics, preventative braces and taping. This is in essence a hands-on/ practical/ interactive course (and usually a lot of fun). The rehabilitation skills are easy to implement in your practice.
12h30 – 13h00; Registration: Introduction and welcome
13h00 – 15h00; Anatomy: functional anatomy (practical)
15h00 – 15h15; Tea
15h15 – 17h15; Assessment of the ankle foot complex
17h15 – 17h45; Management of acute ankle sprains
17h45 – 18h15; Break
18h15 – 19h15; Complications of ankle sprains; impingements, instabilities
19h15 – 20h00; Manual mobilisation of the ankle foot (practical)
8h00 – 8h30; Manual mobilisation of the ankle foot (practical)
8h30 – 10h00; Syndesmosis, Ankle fractures
10h00 – 11h00; Tibialis posterior dysfuction and plantar heel pain
11h00 – 11h15; Tea
11h15 – 13h15; Rehabilitation (practical)
13h15 – 13h45; Taping/ or foot injuries: lis franc, sesamoiditis
13h45 – 14h30; Lunch
14h30 – 15h00; Midfoot sprains and toe injuries
15h00 – 16h30; Case studies (practical)
16h30 – 17h00; Questions and close
Past Course Testimonials
- Helene is a brilliant teacher & explains things very practically with lots of clinical/patient experiences to help us understand. She also demonstrates wonderful fresh ideas for assessment and rehab, thank you – Belinda
- Even after 20 years experience there are new research results & treatment possibilities! – Regina
- A fantastic course. Very informative & practical. Will definitely be better at treating/rehab ankles now, thank you – Lindsay
- Uitstekende kursus, uitstekend aangebied. Kan definitief met meer vertroue ‘n problem enkel aanspreek! – Mariana
- Unthreatening learning environment – difficult anatomy made clear & new rehab exercises – Julie
- I enjoyed the course – the information was highly transferable to the clinical settings – Linda
How To Book This Course:
• Step 1: Create an account; register your details here or click on the ‘Members Area’ button on the top menu: we need your details in order to reserve your seat and email you the preliminary materials for the course – ps; please note that registering your details does not book you onto the course – you need to follow step 2 below.
• Step 2: Book your place; Once you have registered your details, come back to this course webpage to submit your booking below and choose your payment method; to book, click on the Submit button below.
• Step 3: Choose and make your payment method below; Payment by Bank Transfer: If you wish to pay via a bank transfer, simply follow the payment details on the proforma invoice that has been emailed to you now that you have made your booking. Payment by PayPal or Credit Card: Click the “Buy Now” Paypal button above to pay via PayPal or Credit Card. You are now booked and will receive a confirmation email shortly!
View the course times:
- Course times: 1pm-8pm on day 1 and 8am to 5pm on day 2.