The Golf Mechanics Course with Dave Bensted-Smith; Jo’burg; 2-3 November 2018;
Please note the course times are 1-7pm on fri and 9am -5pm on sat.
CPD POINTS – GET A MAXIMUM OF 17 CPD POINTS ON THIS COURSE
14 ceus in level 1 applied for and 3 home study applied for in level 2 (complete the course questionnaire and pass with >70% for your extra 3 exam ceus).
There are probably close to 500 000 golfers in South Africa. By far the majority of these are casual or recreational golfers who are poorly conditioned, unfit and unskilled and who present with a variety of challenges to the medical and fitness professionals. It is my experience that many of the professionals who treat, train and/or manage these players are not as well versed in the mechanics of the body in golf as they could be. It is the purpose of this course to train those professionals so that they are able to positively influence the quality of the golf and longevity of the golfer.
WHY GOLF FITNESS?
You will learn that there is hardly a professional on any of the world tours who does not pay attention to golf fitness. The money they make demands that they use every competitive advantage available and this includes ensuring they are in the necessary physical condition for performance and longevity.
Of greater significance, though, is the amateur golfer. They are generally poorly conditioned and unskilled and this combination leads to injuries and discomfort for the player. There has been a great deal of research in recent years that has identified the typical injuries caused by poor swing biomechanics as well as the technical faults caused by physical limitations.
THE COURSE CONTENT INCLUDES:
The Kinematic Sequence: The movement of the body through the swing sequence is key when analyzing the anatomy of the golf swing. Students will learn the correct kinematic sequence, the movement patterns of an efficient swing and how this affects direction and distance (power). The major muscles that are involved in the swing are discussed as is the difference between style and efficiency. We answer the question: “do you really need to be fit for golf?”
The Majors: You will learn which of the major muscles are responsible for moving the body through the various stages of the swing.
Technical Swing Faults Have Physical Causes. We analyse the twelve most common swing faults, look at their physical causes and provide remedial exercises to rehab the limitation.
Screening: Students will be taught to screen for the most common physical limitations that cause these problems.
Injuries; The most common golf injuries are discussed and physical and technical solutions provided on how to prevent them from occurring.
Fitness Components: The primary golf fitness components of posture, mobility, stability and balance are analysed and we discuss how they relate to the fitness modules of cardio, flexibility, endurance, strength and power. A warm up routine is included.
Women, Children and Seniors; The final module of the course highlights the difference between special population groups and their physical requirements. Specific reference is made to Long Term Athletic Development in children, women in golf and senior golfers.
Participants will receive a course manual and will be expected to make time to familiarize themselves with the golf swing by hitting balls and getting a “feel” for the movement pattern of the golf swing. There are both theoretical and practical components to this course.
1. To update knowledge on the current research of the physical requirements for an effective and efficient golf swing.
2. To become familiar with the physical aspects of the golf swing.
3. To develop the skills necessary for a physical screening of a golfer.
4. To interpret the screening results and use this information to structure an exercise programme.
5. To learn remedial exercises to correct the physical limitations.
6. To understand the various physical requirements of different population groups as they apply to golf.
Please note: Course times are 1pm – 8pm Friday; 8am – 4pm Saturday.
Module 1 – What is/why golf fitness?
Module 2 – The kinematic sequence
Module 3 – Anatomy, the primary movers in the golf swing
Module 4 – Screening swing faults and their physical causes
Module 5 – Screening swing faults and their physical causes
Module 6 – Physical limitations and rehab.
Module 7 – Most common injuries, causes and solutions
Module 8 – Golf and children
Module 9 – Women golfers
Module 10 – Summary
Audience; Healthcare professionals who manage clients / athletes involved in golf – amateur or professional: physiotherapists, Doctors, Chiropractors, osteopaths, personal trainers, biokineticists; Coaches and Golf industry specialists will also gain great information form this course
Facilities; Parking (free), secure and inside premises
Accomodation; plenty of B&B’s, Guest houses and hotel in the green point area of Cape town.
Snacks: Teas / coffees and a light meal will be provided.
Clothing: Comfortable. Shorts, tops and shoes.
Material: You will receive a course manual.
Other Info: You will be asked to fill out an evaluation form and receive a signed certificate via email after the course.
How To Book This Course:
• Step 1: Create an account; register your details here or click on the ‘Members Area’ button on the top menu: we need your details in order to reserve your seat and email you the preliminary materials for the course – ps; please note that registering your details does not book you onto the course – you need to follow step 2 below.
• Step 2: Book your place; Once you have registered your details, come back to this course webpage to submit your booking below and choose your payment method; to book, click on the Submit button below.
• Step 3: Choose and make your payment method below; Payment by Bank Transfer: If you wish to pay via a bank transfer, simply follow the payment details on the proforma invoice that has been emailed to you now that you have made your booking. Payment by PayPal or Credit Card: Click the “Buy Now” Paypal button above to pay via PayPal or Credit Card. You are now booked and will receive a confirmation email shortly!
View the course times:
- Day 1: 1:00pm – 7:00pm
- Day 2: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Bookings are closed for this event.