Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a clinically defined condition characterized by severe disabling fatigue and a combination of symptoms including disturbance in concentration and loss of short-term memory, disturbed sleep, and musculoskeletal pain.
A new research project is soon to begin at Wrigthington Hospital, Wigan based on a chance discovery in 1989 by osteopath and neuroscientist Dr Raymond Perrin who revealed a possible association between certain biophysical dysfunctions and the incidence of CFS/ME. The concept of CFS/ME being primarily a physical disorder is foreign to most of the medical profession. However, many of them recognise that CFS/ME has physical symptoms.
Dr Perrin, the principal investigator for the research project has observed repeated patterns of physical signs among sufferers that cannot be dismissed as pure coincidence. The project “Examining the accuracy of a physical diagnostic technique For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis” has received ethical approval from the NHS and is being conducted by a team at the Allied Health Professions unit at The University of Central Lancashire, Preston in association with 3 NHS Trusts.
Dr Perrin presented evidence to support his work in San Francisco this March at the biennial conference of The International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome /Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME), attracting interest from many of the 400 professionals from around the world. The scientific community are tantalizingly close to gaining an understanding of CFS/ME.
Thus if an aid to diagnosis was developed with identifiable positive physical signs rather than the negative exclusion, it would be much more preferable clinically. It would also reduce the huge financial burden placed on the health service by reducing the need of some of the pathological tests carried out at present.
Dr Raymond N Perrin DO, PhD
Hon. Senior Lecturer, Allied Health Professions Research Unit,
University of Central Lancashire
Registered Osteopath and Neuroscientist
Specialist in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME
1984-1986 Associate at a private osteopathic clinic in Wakefield, West Yorkshire:
1984-onwards Principal of own private osteopathic practice in North Manchester:
1988-1998 Resident osteopath of Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza Midland Manchester:
1988-1996 City Centre Osteopathic Practice at Manchester’s St John Street:
1994-1997 Research Student at Department of Orthopaedic Mechanics, University of Salford:
1994 Medical Advisor to leading UK bed manufacturer.
1997-2005 Research Student at The Department of Biological Sciences, University of Salford:
2001-onwards Visiting osteopath running specialist CFS/ME clinic in Bushey, Herts:
2005-onwards Principal at The Perrin Clinic Manchester: A central Manchester clinic in St John Street,
1985-1990 Honorary Advisor To Northern Branch of The International Spinal Research Trust:
1986-1988 Health Columnists to Regional Newspaper:
1996-onwards Research Director of F.O.R.M.E. Trust:
1996-onwards Visiting Lecturer at The British School Of Osteopathy, London:
1999 Official Osteopath to the World Student Games, Sheffield:
2007- Hon. senios lecturer at the School of Public Health and Clinical Sciences , University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK.
2010- Vice Patron of The British School Of Osteopathy, London
2010- Ambassador to England for the International Association of CFS/ME
2011- Patron of South Sefton ME Support Group, Liverpool.
2011 Appointed Member of the scientific committee for the 2nd World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece. Taking place in November 2011.
2012 Appointed Memcer of the scientific committee for the 3rd World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece. Taking place in May 2013
2012-16: Chief investigator of joint UCLan & NHS research project : Examining the accuracy of a physical diagnostic technique For Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, REC reference number is 12/NW/0877.
2014 Appointed Member of the scientific committee for the 4th World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Crete. Taking place in May 2015.
2005: Ph.D. Biosciences, The University of Salford, Greater Manchester.
1984: D.O. The British School of Osteopathy, London.
Winner: The Institute of Osteopaths Research and Practice Award, 2015
1. Lectured to many lay discussion and charity groups throughout the country on many health issues and osteopathy, 1985 – onwards.
2. Lectured extensively to ME patient groups on Osteopathic treatment of CFS/ME, 1993-onwards.
3. Annual Lecture to the final year students at the British School of Osteopathy, London, on Osteopathy and Research plus The Osteopathic Treatment of CFS/ME (as part of their ‘Preparation of Professional Life’ series of lectures) 1994 – onwards.
4. CFS/ME in school children, Lecture to the RCN’s Association of School Nurses Conference, Manchester,1996
5. The Manual Treatment of M.E. Day Seminar to the Northern Institute of Massage, Blackpool.1997, 1998,1999, 2001.
6. Osteopathy and ME, Open Lecture to the Public, St Michaels Hall, Gibraltar,1997.
7. Osteopathy and CFS/ME a training seminar for the Osteopathic Association of Scotland, Perth, 1998.
8. Osteopathic treatment of foot problems. Lecture to the Manchester Branch of the British Podiatric Association, 1999.
9. The Osteopathic Treatment of CFS/ME at Osteopathy 2000, London, an international conference for the osteopathic profession.
10. Seminar on the osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of CFS/ME, To blind massage therapists at the Royal College for the Blind, 2000.
11. Osteopathic Treatment of CFS/ME Lecture to 3rd year Students of The European School of Osteopathy, Maidstone , 2001.
12. The Osteopathic Treatment of Back Pain and Debate on Manipulation V Mobilisation at the Body and Sole Conference, National Conference Centre, Birmingham, 2001; an international conference for podiatrists and physiotherapists.
13. Seminar on the osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of CFS/ME, St Hellier, Jersey, 2002. to members of the British Chiropractic Association.
14. Seminar on the osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of CFS/ME, Blatna, Czech Republic, 2006, to physiotherapists and osteopaths.
15. Seminar on the osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of CFS/ME, Oslo, 2006, to members of the Norwegian Osteopathic Association.
16. Healthy ME seminar series with Prof Basant Puri and nutrition expert Susanna McIntyre in Bristol, Nov 2006; Nottingham, Jan 2007, London, Feb 2007.
17. Lecture to International Colloquium on CFS/ME, University of Southampton, February 2008.
18. Lecture on CFS/ME to Israeli Osteopathic Association, Jerusalem, February 2008.
19. Seminar on the osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of CFS/ME, Dublin to members of the Irish Osteopathic Association. May 2008.
20. Seminar on the osteopathic diagnosis and treatment of CFS/ME, Bergen , Holland. To members of the Dutch Osteopathic Association. May 2008
21. Workshop for GPs and consultants, Bergen, Holland, May 2008
22. Presented three posters at the IACFS/ME conference, Reno, Nevada, March 2009
23. Invited Speaker at World Congress of Psychosomatic Medicine, Turin, Italy. Sept 09.
24. Invited Speaker at the 1st World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece. November 09.
25. Guest Lecturer at the Irish Midlands Association for Fibromyalgia conference in Tullamore, Ireland , October 2010.
26. Guest Lecturer at the Irish Midlands Association for Fibromyalgia conference in Tullamore, Ireland , October 2011.
27. Invited Speaker The 3rd Chongqing International Clinical Neuroscience Forum & NeuroDrug Conference, Chongqing, China, October 2011.
28. Invited Speaker and scientific committee member of the 2nd World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece. November 2011
29. Invited Lecturer to the International Cranial Association, London, February 5th2012.
30. Invited Speaker to Perrin Technique Seminar in Tullamore, Ireland , August 2012
31. Invited speaker to South Sefton ME Support Group, Liverpool, October 2012.
32. Invited Speaker and scientific committee member of the 3rd World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece. May 2013.
33. Poster presented at the 3rd World Congress on Neurobiology and Psychopharmacology plus The European Association of Psychiatrists Annual Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece. May 2013
34. CME Workshop at University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, May 2013
35. CME Workshop in New York City, May 2013
36. Poster presented at: Medineo conference on CFS/ME 2013: Update on Aetiology, diagnosis and management. Newcastle, Dec 2013.
37. Poster presented at IACFS/ME conference, San Francisco, California, March 2014.
38. CME Workshop in New York City, March 2014
39. CPD Workshop in Stockholm, Sweden March 2014
40. Invited Lecturer at The British Naturopathic and Osteopathic Association AGM, October 2014
41. Lecture to Manus Sinistra, British School of Osteopathy, Nov 2014
42. Invited Speaker and workshop presenter at The International Conference on Fluids and Osteopathy, Berlin Dec 2014.
43. CPD Workshop in Johannesburg, South Africa, April 2015.
44. CPD Workshop in Cape Town, South Africa, April 2015.
45. CPD Workshop in Munich, July 2015.
46. CPD Workshop at the Osteopathic School of Germany, Hamburg, April 2015.
47. CPD Workshop/ Clinic Tutor training at European School of Osteopathy November 2015
48. CPD Workshop at the Osteopatiakoulu Atlas, Espoo, Finland, February 2016
49. Lecture Immunology to undergraduates Poland School of Osteopathy, Poznan May 2016
50. Invited lecturer Dutch Osteopathic Conference Sept 2016
51. Invited lecturer Poznan University Medical School: symposium on Biophysics and Medicine Sept 2016.
52. Invited Lecturer IACFS/ME conference Fort Lauderdale, Florida Oct 2016.
53. Invited Speaker and workshop presenter at The International Conference on Trauma,, Berlin October 2016.
54. Invited Lecturer Institute of Osteopathy Congress, Windsor,November 2016
55. Lecture Course: The Lymphatic System to undergraduates Greek School of Osteopathy, Athens, March 2017.
56. CPD Workshop in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, March 2017
Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
Perrin RN. Lymphatic Drainage of the Neuraxis in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Hypothetical Model for the Cranial Rhythmic Impulse. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, 107(06), 218-224. 2007.
Perrin RN, Edwards J and Hartley P An evaluation of the effectiveness of osteopathic treatment on symptoms associated with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. A preliminary report. Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology , 22(1), 1-13.1998
Perrin RN. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, a review from the biomechanical perspective. British Osteopathic Journal; 11, 1993
Perrin R, Tsaluchidu S. Integrating biological, psychological and sociocultural variables in myalgic encephalomyelitis: Onset, maintenance and treatment. Panminerva Medica 51(03) Suppl. 1, 88, Sept 2009
Perrin R. EPA and The Perrin Technique: A Combined approach to treating Myalgic encephalomyelitis. Annals of General Psychiatry. 9 (Supplement 1):S25, 2010.
Perrin RN, Richards JD, Pentreath V, Percy DF Muscle Fatigue in CFS/ME and its response to a manual therapeutic approach: A Pilot Study. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine, May 2011.
Perrin RN. Neurolymphatic pathways in chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: New Evidence supporting The Perrin Technique. Osteopathische Medizin, 14. Jahrgang 2/2013.
The Perrin Technique: How to beat CFS/ME. Hammersmith Press, London May 2007
Waking up to chronic fatigue. Article by Rowan Hooper in New Scientist 20th May 2006, 10-1.
The Perrin Technique, A Guide for the practitioner. FORME publications, 2005.
The Perrin Technique, A Guide for the patient. FORME publications, 2005.
The involvement of cerebrospinal fluid and lymphatic drainage in Chronic fatigue
syndrome/ME , PhD Thesis University of Salford, 2005.
Osteopathy and ME, FORME publications, 1994 reprint 1996.
Osteopathy and ME, a step by step treatment guide. Distributed to members of the
osteopathic profession by the G.Os.C. 1996.
The Osteopathic Guide to the Rebox II Electrotherapy unit. For REBOX UK,1989.
British Journal of Radiology
Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine
British Medical Journal’s online journal The BMJ OPEN
Media Appearances / Contributions
1. Gibraltar TV interview on my work with CFS/ME, 1997.
2. BBC North West News , 1998.
3. Radio Ireland live interview 1998.
4. BBC GMR Radio Interviews 1998, 1999 and 2005 on CFS/ME.
5. Granada News Interview, 2000.
6. Granada Breeze, Studio Discussion/Debate on CFS/ME, 2001.
7. The Perrin technique, A Documentary Film. G. Deehan, Director; Centre Screen Productions, 2005.
8. Live interview with REM radio Spain. July 2007.
9. Radio interview Shannonside Radio, Ireland. September 2011