- Career History and Work Experience
2018 – Clinical Director and Physiotherapist at Balance (Pty.)Ltd
After receiving an opportunity from an international investor I have followed my dream to start a multi-disciplinary environment with a group of healthcare and exercise professionals to work as a team with a common goal in mind to keep patients and clients moving. Myself and my business partner will set up a co-working space with opportunities for healthcare therapists and exercise therapists to grow their business and work as a team with regular in-service training and client case studies. Our goal is to create a space where different therapy and exercise modalities are used under one roof.
2017-2018 – Private Practitioner at Tamsin Hodgson Physiotherapy
Moving back to Cape Town has been a lovely change from the hustle of Hong Kong and China. At Tamsin’s I started working again and enjoyed the time there. Soon I realised that seeing clients in their respective gym’s proved to be difficult and only seeing patients in a treatment room became limiting.
2015 – 2017 – Manager/Director of Clinical Services at Joint Dynamics Ltd. – Hong Kong, China.
Joint Dynamics is a multidisciplinary studio combining all different aspects of the fitness industry under one roof. Services includes physiotherapy, massage, rehabilitation, personal training, functional movement training, strength training, body fat loss, running/gait analysis and isolated stretching sessions through ART. My role was not only senior physiotherapist but also managing director of the clinical team. I thoroughly enjoyed the different team members working together in client care and promoted problem solving amongst the different disciplines. I strongly feel that different aspects of training enhances our treatment goals. Main client groups consisted of Crossfitters, Finance A-type personalities, Hong Kong Junior Tennis, Hong Kong Netball, Tri-athletes and ultramarathon runners. I was solely responsible for Geoff Cheah – Hong Kong’s male Olympic swimmer.
2013 – 2015 – Clinic Manager/Private Practitioner at The Shekou Physio & Dynamic Centre Shenzhen, China.
Working as the only physiotherapist in the community treating clients from all different continents was fascinating. As clinic manager, I was responsible for the financial reports and clinic marketing. The clinic substantially grew under my care and with later moving to Hong Kong, clients still travelled for over two hours to continue their treatment with myself. In China with working hours being longer than normal I found that an integral part of my treatment plan was conducting work station ergonomics assessments in offices and factories.
2008 – 2012 – Private Practitioner at Nicky Roote Physiotherapy Clinic – Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
2006 – 2008 Private Practitioner at Hands-On Physiotherapy Clinic – Manchester, England.
2006 – 2008 Private Practitioner at Gatley Physiotherapy Clinic – Manchester, England.
2006 – 2008 Private Practitioner at The Didsbury Village Physiotherapy and Sports Clinic – Didsbury, England.
2006 Private Practitioner at A du Preez Physiotherapy Practice – Plettenberg Bay, South Africa.
2005 Community/Public Service in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. eek.
- Professional Organisation Memberships •
- Supplementary Medical Professions Council Board (Physiotherapy) of Hong Kong 2013-2017
- Health Professions Council of South Africa 2000-2017
- South African Society of Physiotherapy 2002-2015
- Committee member of the Eastern Cape Branch 2011-2013
- Orthopaedic Manipulative Physiotherapy Group 2006-2013
- Chairperson for Eastern Cape Province 2012
- Treasurer for Eastern Cape Province 2011
- Committee member assisting in course organising 2010
- Health Professions Council of the United Kingdom 2006-2008
- Chartered Society of Physiotherapy 2006-2008
- Courses Completed (Post Graduation)
- Applied Functional Science 40 week GIFT programme – Gray Institute, Michigan USA. This programme consisted of 3 one week contact sessions in Detroit, Michigan, USA and 37 weeks of online learning. I can honestly say it has changed my professional career and has helped me assess and treat clients far beyond anything I could have imagined. In 2016 a 160 professionals from all over the world – Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, UK, Sweden, Norway, Russia, USA etc. attended.
- Combined Movement Theory – Manipulation GrV+ of the Spine. Dr Chris Mc Carthy (course organiser at Joint Dynamics, Hong Kong)
- International Spinal Manipulation Course – Taipei Taiwan. Professor Peter Gibbons
- Neurodynamic Solutions – The Upper Quadrant course. Michael Shacklock
- Kinetic Control Concepts – Understanding movement & function. Jacqueline Swart
- Groin Rehabilitation course. Anthony Hogan
- The Lumbar Spine – Neuromusculoskeletal Assessment & Treatment. Marcelle Pienaar
- Triggerpoints & myofascial release techniques in their train tracks. Lesley Meyer
- Anatomy Trains – Myofascial Meridians release techniques. Thomas Myers, James Earls
- The Combined Approach to the SacroIliac Joint. Howard Turner
- The Sporting Knee. Mark Alexander
- The Elbow: an example of a multi-structural, integrated system. Tanya Bell-Jenje
- Kinetic Control Seminar & Training weekend. Guest speaker Lorimer Moseley
- New Dimensions in Upper Limb Surgery and Rehabilitation Mohammed Waseem, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons and Dave Fevre, Physiotherapist
- Pilates Matrix. Hosted by Kinetic Control
- Kinetic Control Understanding Movement and Function Course IV. Jacqui Clark Diagnosis of Mechanical Dysfunction and Stability Retraining of the Hip and Lower Limb
- Kinetic Control Movement Dysfunction Course III. Sarah Mottram Diagnosis of Mechanical Dysfunction and Stability Retraining of the SIJ and Pelvis
- Mulligan Course focus on Upper Quadrant. Geoff Foat
- Kinetic Control Movement Dysfunction Course II. Sarah Mottram. Diagnosis of Mechanical Dysfunction and Functional Stability Retraining Shoulder Girdle course
- Assessment, Prevention, Treatment & Rehabilitation of Hamstring Injuries. Helen Millson
- Dry Needling Module II. Bruce Barker
- Going Global Lower Quarter. Tanya Bell-Jenje
- Kinetic Control Movement Dysfunction Course I. Sarah Mottram. The Diagnosis of Mechanical Back Pain Sub-Groups & Stability Retraining of the Lumber Spine
- Dry Needling Module I. Claire Waumsley *(course organiser in Port Elizabeth through OMPTG)
- Tertiary Education
- Fellowship in Applied Functional Science (AFS) USA
- Certification in Functional Manual Reaction (FMR) USA
- 2009 : Post Graduate Diploma (Jan-Dec 2009) Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy course SA
- 2006 – 2007 : MSc in Stability Rehabilitation of Movement Dysfunctions (40 credits received) UK
- 2006 – 2007 : Kinetic Control Instructor Training Programme UK
- 2001 – 2004 : BSc in Physiotherapy Honours from the University of Stellenbosch SA Cum laude completed. Secondary Education
- 1996 – 2000 : Andrew Rabie High School – Port Elizabeth Matriculated with Distinction – all subjects passed Higher Grade