|Brief CV of Wilma Erasmus
Wilma Erasmus graduated from the University of Pretoria in 1982 with the Diploma in Physiotherapy and received her MSc Physiotherapy from the University of Witwatersrand in 2012. Her dissertation was done on the implementation of an Individual CPAP during the weaning phase of adult ventilated patients. She is owner of Erasmus Physiotherapists Inc. in Witbank South Africa since 1987and is still clinically involved in the treatment of hospital and outpatient patients. Wilma has presented at various national and international physiotherapy congresses in the last 10 years with topics ranging from practice management, ethics, professional issues and respiratory care.
Since 1995 she has been involved in various portfolios of the South Africa Society of Physiotherapy (SASP). From chairman of the Private sector (PhysioFocus) to the President of the SASP. She is currently the PhysioFocus Liaison Officer. She lectures on various subjects ranging from practice management, cardio-pulmonary management and ethics. She is the current Chairman of the International Private Physical Therapy Association (IPPTA), the official subgroup from private practice of WCPT. She is passionate about the physiotherapy profession and dedicated to ethical, principle leadership and sharing of knowledge.
Condensed CV of Wilma A. Erasmus
Qualified as physiotherapist in 1982 from University of Pretoria (Nat Dip PT).
Started own private physiotherapy practice in Witbank in 1987.
Currently still practicing in Witbank as owner of Erasmus Physiotherapist Inc.
1982 -1984: Physiotherapists at Witbank Provincial Hospital, South Africa
1984 -1987: Physiotherapist and practice manager at Joy Edeling Private Physiotherapy practice, Witbank, South Africa
1987 – 1993: Owner of Wilma Erasmus Private Physiotherapy Practice, Witbank, South Africa
1993 -1994: Director of Physical Therapy, Plainwell Sports and Physical therapy center, Plainwell, Michigan, USA.
Additional postgraduate training.
2012: Masters in Physiotherapy (ICU) through dissertation at University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa (WITS).
1999: Diploma: Advance Business Management Program – Manchester Business School.
1997: Cardiorespiratory Physical Therapy Management 80-hour Course (WITS)
1996: Pharmacology for Physiotherapists 80 hours University of Pretoria (TUKS)
1993: Orthopedic Manipulative Physical Therapy 120-hour Course (OMPTG SASP)
1994: Passed Michigan State License Exam for Physical Therapists
Professional Achievements and Involvements.
- International Private Physical Therapy Association (IPPTA) Chairman 2015 – 2020
- SASP PhysioFocus Liaison Officer 2016 – current
- SASP Tariff /Coding Committee Chairman 2013 -2015
- PhysioFocus (The Private Practitioners Group of the SASP) Chairman. (2 Terms) 2004 -2006 and 2009 -2010
- PhysioFocus Vice Chairman 2011 – 2013
- SASP President 2006 -2007
- SASP Vice President 2005 and 2009
- Member of SASP Ethical Committee 2016 – current
- Chairman of the SASP WCPT 2015 Congress Bidding Committee 2010 and 2011
- Member of the SASP WCPT 2017 Congress Bidding Committee 2014
- International Private Physical Therapy Association (IPPTA) Executive Committee member 2011 – 2019
- Abstract reviewer International Federation of Orthopedic Manipulative Physical therapists (IFOPMT) congress 2012, Quebec, Canada; 2016 Glasgow UK.
- Abstract reviewer World Confederation of Physical Therapists (WCPT) congress 2015, 2017 and 2019.
- Poster Presenter at WCPT congress 2015 in Singapore.
- Poster presenter at WCPT congress 2017 in Cape Town
- Presenter of Focus Symposium session at WCPT congress 2019 in Geneva
- Expert witness for the Health Professional Council of South Africa (HPCSA) since 2000 -2019 on ethical and tariff related issues.
- Lectured to physiotherapists and other medical professionals in SA and Namibia since 1995 on various topics ranging from tariff related issues, ethical matters, cardiorespiratory management and practice management.
- Guest lecturer WITS final year physiotherapy students: Practice management and ethical issues 2010 –
- National SA Council for Businesswomen (SACBW): Businesswomen of the Year award in 2008-2009 in the professional category.
- Awarded honorary life membership of the SASP for dedicated service to the Society in 2012.
- Awarded honorary life membership of the Private Physiotherapy Association of the SASP for dedicated service in 2011.
- Awarded ASAIPA 2018 award for contribution to private practice in South Africa