CV Caren Fleishman
Caren works as senior associate physio in private practice in the south of Johannesburg with a special interest in musculoskeletal & sports injuries
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) Physiotherapy 1988
Master of Science (M.Sc) Physiotherapy (Orthopaedics) 1998
Post-graduate Diploma in Orthopaedic Manual Therapy 1996
Caren has travelled extensively internationally & nationally with various sporting codes & multi-coded events for over 20 years.
Some of these include :
– Chief Physiotherapist , Team SA Commonwealth Games Delhi 2010
– 4 Olympic Games (Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 & London 2012),
– 2 Commonwealth Games (Melbourne 2006 and including Delhi 2010)
– 3 All Africa Games (Johannesburg 1999, Nigeria 2003, Algeria 2007)
– 2 Maccabi Games in Israel in 2001 & 2005
• Was the physiotherapist for South African Women’s Soccer team
(Banyana Banyana) for over 15 years & travelled with them on a regular basis
around Africa and internationally
• Previously was the South African men’s baseball team physiotherapist
for many years & travelled with them internationally
• Assists with strapping at the Comrades Expo & along the route of the
Comrades Marathon for nearly 20 years. She has been acknowledged by the Comrades Marathon Association for her contribution.
• Physio co-ordinator of the “Strap for Life” intervarsity strapping competition held annually as the Comrades for 4th year physio students for nearly 20 years & is now the Chief Judge
• Physiotherapist to the referees, Rugby World Cup 1995
• She was one of the first women physiotherapists invited to attend baseball Spring Training with the Atlanta Braves & Chicago White Sox in 1997
Lecturing & presentations:
Guest lecturer to post-graduate physiotherapists on Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy course (OMT) in Johannesburg since 1998 & to KZN on the Shoulder module for many years. Previously also presented the Knee module in Johannesburg.
Previous guest lecturer on SPT post- graduate course
Lectures regularly around the country to other physiotherapists on the shoulder and on Kinematic taping.
She also presents workshops or lectures to coaches and athletes on occasion.
Chair of the SA faculty of International Kinematic Taping Academy & Assistant to International presenter, John van Langedoen, on Kinematic taping for the Lower Quarter & Upper Quarter- 2010- 2015.
Guest lecturer on various other courses. She was a contributor & presenter on the Discovery Acute Low Back Pain programme.
Presented papers/workshops at previous SA Physiotherapy Society (SASP), SA Sports Medicine Association (SASMA), Israel Sports Medicine Conference & SA Podiatry Association congresses.
Physiotherapy representative on SASCOC Medical Commission (2012-2016).
Honourary life member of OMPTG since 2008.
Previous member of National Executive Committee of Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapy Group (OMT) from 2004 – 2008.
Previously been a member of the South Gauteng SASP, SASMA & Chairperson of South Gauteng Sports Group.
Now a member of the PhysioFocus committee.
Physiotherapy co-ordinator “City to City marathon” 2012 & 2011
Guest on “Medically Speaking” with Prof Seftel on Radio 702 in 2006 & 2007.
Guest on Chai FM radio station October 2012
Guest on “House Call” TV programme October 2012